Get to Know About the Treatment:
Sclerotherapy is a procedure which is used for spider veins treatment and involves directly injecting an FDA approved solution called sclerosant into the vein.
The solution damages the vein’s internal lining and causes the blood to clot within the vein. The body then itself naturally destroys the vein and it would then disappear.
The solution used for this procedure is usually Asclera® (polidocanol), though sodium tetradecyl sulfate (STS) can also be used.
Sclerotherapy is also a minimally invasive procedure.
How does Sclerotherapy work?
- Dr. Umerani will sterilize the injection sites with alcohol before beginning the procedure.
- You will lie down in a comfortable position while the doctor will inject the solution directly into your affected vein with the help of a small needle.
- The solution will ultimately close the spider veins.
- As a result of the injection, you may feel minor pain or burning sensation. Tell the doctor about it if it’s not bearable.
- You may need multiple treatments depending on the extent of your spider veins.
- It can take as little as 15 minutes or about 1 hour for the entire procedure. Sclerotherapy does not need any form of anesthesia.
After the Treatment:
Once the procedure is complete, you will be expected to wear compression stocking which further helps to close the treated vein.
By compressing, blood will not trap in the treated vein and allows its walls to remain closed.
You will be asked to wear a compression stocking for about 1-3 weeks.
You can expect to start your work and resume your normal activities on the same day but you must avoid heavy exercise. We encourage you to walk after the procedure.
You will have a follow-up visit in 1-2 weeks following the treatment.
- The entire procedure takes less than an hour and it doesn’t require a lot of preparation and lengthy recovery.
- Most patients are able to return to their regular activities on the same day after the treatment.
- The process doesn’t require you to go to a hospital and it can be done right in our vein care center.
- It can be used for treating spider veins and small varicose veins, you will feel an improvement in your symptoms gradually after the procedure.
We perform sclerotherapy in a compassionate way keeping in mind patient satisfaction. Most of the patients we have treated have found marked improvements in their symptoms of diseased veins.